MIDWEST EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS WELCOMES YOU
Good news! Our application process has moved online.
Please read the directions on the website.
The Midwest Educational Foundation for Christian Scientists offers a college scholarship program for practicing Christian Scientists who are citizens or legal permanent residents of the states of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, or Wisconsin.
TO QUALIFY FOR A GRANT:
1. You must be a member of The Mother Church,
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, MA
or have an application for membership in process.
2. You must be a citizen or a legal permanent resident of one of the states listed above. International applicants cannot be considered.
3. You must be enrolled at an accredited college or university
4. You must have an immediate educational financial need.
5. You must use the grant money for tuition, fees, textbooks and educational supplies, or room and board.
To apply for a grant, use the online application and include the following items by May 1, 2023:
1. Grant application form, including applicant’s signature certifying that he/she meets all the qualifications listed.
2. An essay about yourself, relating to why you are going to college, your choice of career field, your aspirations, and plans for the future. Include how you personally use Christian Science and any other circumstances you would like the committee to consider. The length of the essay should be no more than two double-spaced pages.
3. Copy of 2022 federal income tax returns of the parents and of the applicant (i.e. IRS Form 1040, page one to line 11 only). See further instructions on the application instructions.
4. Latest scholastic transcripts from high school or college with the name of the institution clearly displayed.
5. Verification of membership with The Mother Church. See below for verification instructions. Allow two weeks for verification by email. If your membership is pending, one of your letters of reference must be from The Mother Church member who countersigned your application.
6. Two letters of reference that speak to your character, integrity, and personal values from individuals who are not family members. One of the letters must be from a Christian Scientist.
References must be submitted by May 1, 2023. Contact the Foundation before May 1 to verify receipt of both letters of reference.
REQUEST MOTHER CHURCH MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION
It is easy to verify your membership. Please email email@example.com and include your name,
address, phone number, and member number (if you have it).
Please allow two weeks for email verification. Save or export the email response to a pdf to submit it with the online application form.
Click below to access the online application form.
Applications must be submitted no later than May 1, 2023
and will not be accepted after that date.
In order to submit the application you will need to include #2 to #5 above in PDF format.
We are an IRS tax-exempt 501(c) (3) organization and are eligible to receive contributions from those interested in supporting our work financially. The Foundation has been awarding grants since 1994.
We welcome assistance from anyone wishing to join in our effort to help practicing Christian Scientists meet their educational goals.
For more information, please use the "Contact Us" link at the top of the webpage.