MIDWEST EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR
GRANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS 2023-2024
The Midwest Educational Foundation for Christian Scientists will make a limited number of
educational grants in July 2023 to practicing Christian Scientists who are citizens or legal permanent residents of the states of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, or Wisconsin. These grants do not need to be repaid and will be available for both undergraduate and graduate students attending or preparing to enter any college or university, regardless of location. Grant decisions are based on the applicant’s personal essay including his/her use of Christian Science, letters of reference, grades/transcripts, as well as financial need. An application must be complete, and all required materials must be received before an applicant will be considered for a grant.
Grants will be awarded by July 2023 for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Section I. To qualify for a grant, the applicant must:
1. Be a member of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston,
Massachusetts or have an application for membership pending.
2. Be a citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States. International applicants, even if studying in the United States, cannot be considered.
3. Be enrolled at the institution listed on the application.
4. Have an immediate financial need.
5. Use the grant money only for tuition, room and board, textbooks, and educational supply expenses. A grant cannot be used for travel or personal expenses. The applicant understands and acknowledges that grant money cannot be used for any purposes other than those listed above. Any grant money not used for the above purposes must be returned to the Foundation.
Section II. To apply for a grant, you must submit the following items by May 1, 2023.
1. Grant application form, including applicant’s signature certifying that all the items listed in
Section I above are both true and correct.
2. An essay about yourself relating to why you are going to college, your choice of career field, your aspirations, and your plans for the future. Include how you personally use Christian Science and any other circumstances you would like the committee to consider. Put your name at the beginning of the essay. The length of the essay should be no longer than two double-spaced pages.
3. Copy of 2022 income tax returns (IRS Form 1040, page one to line 11 only), of the parents and of the applicant, if the applicant filed a return in 2022 or received a W-2 or 1099 for work. If applicant has none, submit a brief note.
4. Latest scholastic transcripts from high school or college.
5. Verification of Mother Church membership or pending application. Email the clerk of The
Mother Church at: email@example.com. Request an email verification of your
membership. Include your name, address, phone number, and Mother Church member number (if you have it). Allow 2 weeks for email verification. Upload the email response with your application. If your membership is pending, one of your letters of reference must be from the Mother Church member who countersigned your application. Upload a pdf file stating: 1. Your membership is pending; 2. The name of your reference who countersigned your application.
6. Two letters of reference that speak to your character, integrity, and personal values from
individuals who are not relatives or family members. One of the letters must be from a
Christian Scientist. Your references can click “Letters of Reference” at the top of the website for the reference form for online submission by May 1, 2023. Contact the Foundation before May 1 to make sure we have received your letters of reference. Both letters must be received for your application to be considered.
7. The expected method of communication with the Foundation is email or U.S. mail to the
address below. Check your email regularly for communication. Contact us through our website: https://www.midwestedfoundcs.org/
Applications must be submitted no later than May 1, 2023 and will not be accepted after
Here’s a checklist for your application:
_____Application completed and signed
_____Essay completed with your name at the beginning
_____Parents' 2022 IRS Form 1040, p. 1 to line 11 only
_____Student's 2022 IRS Form 1040, p. 1 to line 11, if filed, or W-2 or work 1099
_____Scholastic transcript with the name of institution included
_____The Mother Church membership verification (see above for pending membership)
_____Two letters of reference received by the Foundation