MIDWEST EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS WELCOMES YOU
The mission of the Midwest Educational Foundation for Christian Scientist is to provide eligible Christian Science students with higher education scholarship assistance.
We offer a college scholarship program for practicing Christian Scientists who are residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio or Wisconsin. Funds are also available for Christian Science nurses' training.
TO QUALIFY FOR A GRANT:
1. You must be a member of The Mother Church,
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, MA
or have an application for membership in process.
2. You must be a resident of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio or Wisconsin.
3. You must have an immediate educational financial need.
4. You must use the grant money for tuition, fees, educational supplies, or room and board.
To apply for a grant, you must submit the following items by May 1, 2020.
1. An essay about yourself, providing your thoughts regarding why you are going to college, your choice of career field, your aspirations and plans for the future. Include how you personally use Christian Science and any other circumstances you would like the committee to consider. The length of the essay should be no more than two double-spaced pages.
2. Verification of Mother Church membership. See below for verification instructions. Allow two weeks for verification by email.
If your membership is pending, one of your letters of reference must be from the Mother Church member who countersigned your application.
3. Latest scholastic transcripts from high school or college. Nursing applicants, please provide a letter of acceptance for the training level to which you are applying as well as the date of the class, in lieu of high school or college transcripts.
4. Two letters of recommendation that speak to the applicant’s character, integrity, and values from individuals who are not family members. One of the letters must be from a Christian Scientist. These letters should be postmarked by May 1.
References must include their contact information, including phone number and email address (if available). It is your responsibility to ensure that we receive the letters of reference. If we do not receive both letters, we will not consider your application.
5. Copy of 2019 federal income tax returns of the parents and of the applicant (i.e. page one of IRS Form 1040 only through line 8b). See further instructions on the downloadable application.
6. Grant application form, including applicant’s signature certifying that he/she meets all the qualifications listed above.
NOTE: To ensure that we receive your letters of reference on time,
you may contact the Foundation before May 1 to see if we have received them, or you may include the sealed letters along with the other required items when you send in your application.
REQUEST MOTHER CHURCH MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION
It is easy to verify your membership. Please email email@example.com and include your name,
address, phone number, and member number (if you have it).
Please allow two weeks for email verification. Print out the email response and include it in your application packet.
Download the 2020-2021 application below.
Applications must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2020
and will not be accepted after that date.
DO NOT SEND APPLICATION BY CERTIFIED MAIL.
Mail the completed application and additional requirements to:
Midwest Educational Foundation for Christian Scientists
The Scholarship Center
P.O. Box 737
Leeland, Michigan 49654
We are an IRS tax-exempt 501(c) (3) organization and are eligible to receive contributions from those interested in supporting our work financially. The Foundation has been awarding grants since 1994. In the past four years, we have given 132 scholarships for higher learning programs at 43 institutions.
The investment of funds realized from the sale of the Christian Science Organization Buildings on the University of Illinois and Purdue University campuses, combined with other funds donated by
individuals and churches, make this program possible.
We welcome assistance from anyone wishing to join in our effort to help practicing Christian Scientists meet their educational goals.
For more information, please use the "Contact Us" link at the top of the webpage.